Friday, November 20, 2009

Diabetic Friendly Free Sock Pattern updated 3/13


This is a diabetic friendly pattern for Stand-Up Knee-Hi socks. It features a special no-turn heel! The heel design allows for a smoother heel and less rubbing. the leg of the sock is designed to stay up, yet is very stretchy to allow for edema (swelling) in the calf area.
The keys to the comfort of this sock are according to my husband- the recipient:
1) the soft yarn choice- I used a new yarn I have not tried before by Universal Yarn Co. Called “Pace’- on the skein it says ‘Knit, relax, smile, repeat” as its slogan. It is a superfine yarn comprised of 75% Superwash wool and 25% Polymide. It is machine washable, 220 yards per 50gm skein, at a gauge of 6.75-8 sts. per inch, on size 1-3 needles. I used #1 needles for a tighter, smoother weave.
2) the different patterns sections in the leg of the sock make it stay in place without being too tight
3) the no-turn heel is smoother than traditional turned heel

STAND-UP KNEE-HI SOCKS WITH “NO-TURN” HEEL pattern:

(Especially nice for people with sensitive feet; less bulk and rubbing at the heel)

Materials:
Superfine/fingering weight yarn
Size 1 (U.S.) dpns or circular needles

Cast on 72 stitches for Men’s sizes M/L (approx. shoe sizes 10-13)
Cast on 66 stitches for Women’s sizes M/L (approx. shoe sizes 8-10)

The cuff/leg of the knee-hi is worked in sections.

Section 1:
Rounds 1-2 P around
Rounds 3-5 * K5, p1 * around

Section 2:
Beginning with next round,
Work in Pyramid pattern for approx. 3-4 inches, ending with a row 4.

PYRAMID PATTERN:

Round 1: P across
Round 2: K1, P5, across to last st. K1
Round 3: K2, P3, * K3, P3 * across to last 2 sts. K2
Round 4: K3, P1, * K5, P1 * across to last 3 sts. K3

Section 3: * K3, P3 * around
repeat this row for 3-4 inches.

Section 4:
Knit all rounds for 4-5 inches.

Divide for heel:
Divide from 3 needles to 2. End having just worked across needle 2 (instep) then slip stitches from needles 1 & 3 together onto needle 1 (this is the heel needle)
Now there are the same # of stitches on two needles.

With right side facing, work heel stitches only:

Row 1: slip1 PW, K1, repeat across row
Row 2: slip 1 PW, purl across

Repeat rows 1&2 until heel measures 3-3.5” ending having worked a knit row.
Don’t worry about turning the heel. The heel flap is longer than in standard sock patterns and allows for enough ease to move on directly to the gusset. Trust me it works and forms a very smooth and comfortable heel according to my dear husband!


Heel gusset:
Back to 3 needles, with right side facing and using heel needle (this will be needle 1) pick up and knit (approx. 14) stitches along left edge of heel flap (side w/yarn attached)
Then use an empty needle to knit across needle 2.
With another empty needle, (this will be needle 3) pick up and knit (approx. 14) stitches down right side of heel flap, then knit (approx. 10) stitches from needle 1 onto this same needle.


Gusset decreases:
On next round, starting with needle 1, begin heel gusset decreases as follows: (decreases are on needles 1&3 only)

Round 1: needle 1- K across to last 3 sts, k2 tog, K1 needle 2- knit across all stitches
needle 3- K1, K2tog TBL, K to end

Round 2: Knit across all needles

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until the same number of stitches remain on the needles as you originally cast on-66(72). Then begin foot.

Foot:
knit plain rounds to desired length (approx. 2 inches short of total foot length desired to allow for toe rounds.)

Toe:
Round 1:
Needle 1-k across to last 3 sts, k2tog, K1
Needle 2-k1, K2tog then knit to last 3 sts, K2 tog TBL
Needle 3-K1, K2 tog TBL, knit to end

Round 2:
Knit across each needle. Repeat.

Repeat rounds 1 and 2 until about 20sts remain on needles. Divide sts. evenly on 2 needles and use kitchener stitch to bind off.




Diabetics and folks with sensitive feet may like this pattern!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

STAND-UP KNEE-HI WITH NO-TURN HEEL P.S. Of course knitters may use a standard heel if they choose and don't bother with the tally sheets if they are confusing. I just use them as a way to keep track of my rows and decreases. Thanks and feel free to email or message me on Ravelry if there are any other questions! :)

21 comments:

  1. I love this pattern. My boyfriend's dad is diabetic and has a horrible time with his edema. I've knit him 2 pairs of these socks and he loves them. He keeps requesting more! ^_^ Thank you so much for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern. I've been looking and looking. Shall try then and see how he likes them :)

    DIANE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad the pattern has been helpful to so many folks! I originally designed them for my diabetic husband but I am glad others find them useful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Row 1: slip1 PW, K1, repeat across row
    Row 2: slip 1 PW, purl across

    What does the PW mean in this part of the pattern? I don't think I have ever seen that abbreviation before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think I got it! Does it mean Purl Wise?
    Sorry to be so ignorant.
    Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. PW is purlwise. So sorry I didn't see this comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a mistake in the pyramid pattern ? I do not know if it is me round 3 and round 4 does ot work out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry I have had no reports of an error and the pattern worked for me but I will review it again! Sorry have been away and it took me a while to see this request!! K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anonymous-It may be that your number oof stitches come out uneven ( you may have an extra stitch or one fewer) depending on the number of stitches you opted to cast on on. Just knit the stitches you DO have in pattern and continue to next row. This will not hurt the overall pattern, nor hurt the look of the sock. Hope that helps! K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi
    My dad likes shorter socks, rather than knee high, can the pattern be shortened?
    Thanks mel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there sure you can shorten the pattern either by doing fewer rows within each grouping. Let me know how he likes them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    Are there an equal number of stitches on each of the 3 needles? (I'm using the 72 stitch pattern)
    Also when going to 2 needles for the heel is there the same number of stitches on the two needles?
    Thank you Mel ( the beginner )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great I am searching for this kinda sock for my gradfather for there jogging,because he has been suffered with diebetic and jogging makes his s blood pressure high ,so diabetic sock can help him to main blood pressure.
    http://diabetic-sock.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Louis have you finished the socks? Has your grand father given them a try? Hope they work well!

      Delete
  14. ok so looking at the pattern section 1 and it says for 3-5 rounds k5, p1 which is a multiple of 6. then skipping to the pyramid pattern, shouldn't round 3 be (k2,p3 *k3,p3* across to last st, k1 instead of k2)
    round 4 should read k3,p1 *k5,p1* across to last two sts k2 instead of k3... or am I supposed to increase somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic weblog u have! I’ll just wanna thank you 4 that. If u like 2 see our site visit it now! Thanks for visiting!
    Diabetic Socks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing the pattern, can this be use for non diabetic also?

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanx a mil! don't have diabetes, but can't walk much or do much of anything anymore [polio 60+ years ago] and spent much of my time in a power chair. not good for circulation. I can still knit a row or so at a time, enough to make me some great sox to wear instead of my compression sox.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing about this diabetic socks. these are very helpful for those who are suffering from diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. From 2002 to 2019, I was battling this terrible disease called Diabetes, I couldn't afford so many things, as I was spending about 70% of my income on treating diabetes and liver problems. little did i know that my medications were the main cause of this issue. After spending tons of money nursing my diabetes, my wife’s friend messaged her on facebook,  Sarah told her about  the  great herbalist Dr  James,who uses herbs and roots extract to cure diseases that have been said to be incurable by drugs and injections from Nigeria in west A frica, my wife explained to Dr.James what’s going on with me, and Dr.James asked what i have been using, after my wife explained to him, he asked if i was having blurred vision, kidney issues or any other complications, my wife told him i had blurry vision and liver issues, and he confirmed that the medicines i have been using is the cause of the complications. That was when it occurred to me that my doctor had changed my medications 5 times within the space of 12 years. I took my time to read about the side effects of the medicine i was using, lo and behold, I was shocked.
    After 2 days, we ordered Dr.James  natural  herbs cure for Diabetes treatments and he also gave some directives on what to do, in a 4 days time , the supplements arrived in the States, and my husband started using the herbal medicine in accordance with Dr.James directives. so my husband used the herbal medicine accordingly as he was told. After the completion of the treatment on the 4th week, with  Dr.James herbal medicine, from 2019 till date, my husband  has been feeding normally like everybody else. After I saw these changes in 2019, I told some people I know about  Dr. James herbal mix medicine in west Africa , they used it and told others about it and the good news about Dr.James herbal healings keeps spreading.
    As interesting as this is, Dr.James have has cure for diseases like Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis,Lupus,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Herpes Virus,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid. just reach him on his Email  [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com].  

    ReplyDelete
  20. How much yarn does this pattern take?

    ReplyDelete